Can you get a job if you don’t already have a network? Every job seeker has heard networking is the way to find a job, but what if you have no network? All is not lostâ€”you can start now to build one.
Debra Feldman, known as the “JobWhiz,” is a professional networking expert and executive job search talent agent. These are her suggestions to build a network to help you land your next opportunity. Read the entire post on my U.S. News & World Report column.
1. Develop a short list of target employers.
2. Refine your list by identifying if you know anyone who works in these organizations
3. Set up informational meetings (also known as informational interviews).
4. Once you further narrow your target list, research the people who may have authority to hire someone like you.
5. Use all the data at your disposal to become extremely knowledgeable about your target organizations.
6. Review your job search materials.
7. Contact a company insider.
8. Say thank you and follow up frequently.
photo by michael.heiss