We’ve all gotten used to being able to interact online by leaving comments or by chatting in real time on Twitter or Facebook, for example. But, now, with a new app called Tokkster, you can interact online with other people who are on the same website as you.
One of the creaters, Asher Adelman, explained that the application is designed to mimic in-person interactions. Just as you don’t normally wear a name tag when you are out and about, Tokkster users do not have “handles.” All that identifies you when you are using the app is the avatar you upload, and if you choose to share more information when you “meet” others via the app, that is up to you.
Sensitive to privacy concerns, founders chose for Tokkster interactions to be real-time only — just like a regular conversation — chats are not saved. Once a conversation closes, it is gone. The site explains, “Privacy is very important to us, and we’ve designed Tokkster so that nobody’s data, browsing history or chats are ever collected, stored or tracked.”
Tokkster’s site addresses additional privacy concerns:
- Your name and other personal information is not accessible to other users.
- The only thing that people can see of yours on Tokkster is your photo.
- Tokkster does not collect, store or track anyone’s browsing history or their chats.
- If you wish to be “invisible” to other users on certain websites, you can easily minimize the Tokkster app and you will not be seen or or see anyone else. You won’t be able to receive any chat messages when your app is minimized.
- When you log into your email or online banking, Tokkster is automatically disabled. The site notes, “No one can “see”or access any information from your bank, email or other personal accounts.
I’m planning some special events for Tokkster users starting in January. I’ll have some job search and social media Q&A on Keppie Careers’ site, and I’m looking forward to spending time online with other Tokkster users in the new year! Be sure to sign up now so you’ll be well versed in the app when we get started!