Monday, I reviewed Gary Vaynerchuk’s new book, Crush It! and yesterday I posted some additional thoughts inspired by his book regarding personal branding. (It’s looking like Gary Vaynerchuk week here at Keppie Careers! That’s okay – I think these are important points that job seekers don’t often stop to consider.)
A summary of the highlights:
- Stop doing what you hate – the cost of doing what you love is a lot less than it was 10 years ago.
- Everybody has a voice. Being in business now is like “working a room.” You can’t control the conversation.
- Quality of your product is key.Ã‚Â Content is king.
- Regarding integrity/credibility. If you are worried about credibility, it means you don’t have it.
- Do what you love. Apply what you understand about social media to your passion. Apply social media to make things happen – it’s free! The gatekeepers are gone. Going through the trenches is gone.
Gary’s book is mainly directed to people who are considering breaking out and becoming a business owner. However, it’s important to focus on the fact that these points apply equally well to anyone who wants to work for someone else, but doesn’t want to get lost in the crowd.
If you think about what you have to offer and take some time to share it, you will improve your career profile and the number of opportunities available, whether or not you need them right now. I think it is worth investing some effort. Your return could be more than you think.
Think you could use a little help raising your career profile? I can help! Learn more about Keppie Careers.
photo by shellysblogger